Duino castle. A retreat for writers and artists.

Duino Castle was built in the 14th century on a rock above the bay of Trieste.The castle is surrounded by a magnificent park. Today the castle is owned by the Thurn und Taxis family. The castle is also known because it was a popular meeting place for writers and artists. Franz Liszt, Johann Strauss, Victor Hugo, Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Mark Twain, Empress Sissi, Emperor Franz Josef I and Archduke Franz Ferdinand already stayed here. However, the castle is inseparably linked to the writer Rainer Maria Rilke, who lived in the castle in 1911/12. Princess Marie zu Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfürst had invited him. Rilke, who had fallen into a creative crisis, conceived and began the world-famous Duino Elegies in the palace, but did not complete them until 1922.

Advertisements

The Coffee house San Marco in Trieste. A pleasure for body and soul

The Café San Marco in Trieste was opened on 3rd January 1914. The house in which it is located belongs to Assicurazioni Generali. The restaurant was, like other coffee houses of the city, one of the centers of the Irredentists in the most important port city of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
After the First World War, the café was reopened, but remained largely unnoticed for decades. Only the renovation and reopening on 16th June 1997 with the help of the house owner Assicurazioni Generali led to a renaissance of the traditional café. The Café San Marco with its Art Nouveau interior is also considered a literary café. Among others, Italo Svevo, James Joyce, Umberto Saba, Giani Stuparich, Giorgio Voghera and later Fulvio Tomizza and Claudio Magris frequented the café.
When the guests failed to attend and the coffee house was threatened with closure, Magris launched a campaign in 2013 together with other regular guests to save the café. Since then, the café has been very popular again and in the house is a bookshop.

La Rigatteria. A bookstore for book lovers

La Rigatteria is a bookstore in Trieste and is located in the heart of the old town where antique and junk dealers are collected. From a small second-hand book shop, over the years the shop has grown, giving space not only to a wider selection of antique and modern books from more or less rare editions, but also to objects, furniture, paintings, curiosities and prints from the mid-nineteenth century to the ’50s.